Wednesday, November 21, 2007

#1 on the Thanksgiving List

It was six months ago today that Matt woke up with tingly hands and feet. We had no clue it was Guillain-Barré. Or that it would lead to near paralysis and eight long weeks in the hospital.

Now life's back to normal. A few minor residuals aside (numb & painful feet, tingly hands, and occasional fatigue), Matt's as good as new.

That's good. Here's why:

Back in August, I wrote about how Matt's neurologists though he might have CIDP, a chronic version of Guillain-Barré. The docs wanted to get him on a lifelong steroids treatment asap, but Matt resisted. We weren't convinced their diagnosis was accurate, and Matt didn't want to take drugs needlessly for the rest of his life.

When he met with the docs to question their diagnosis, they re-evaluated his condition and said, "Well, you're doing pretty good. But there's still a chance you have CIDP. So don't get your hopes up." (Ok, maybe I just interpreted that last part...)

They told us that, technically, if Matt didn't relapse within six months of onset, THEN they'd feel comfortable NOT calling it CIDP.

So my point is:
  • It's been six months since onset.
  • Matt's doing better than ever.
  • I think it's safe to say that Guillain-Barré is behind us.
  • Anybody want to buy a barely-used wheelchair?

4 comments:

Laura said...

That is definitely something to be incredibly grateful for! Hooray for making it to the six-month anniversary!!! Now you should go tell them to stop being so smugly pessimistic.

By the way, I might need that wheelchair when we train for the marathon...

Emma said...

I think we are are grateful for that. But not more than you probably! Way to go! That's great news!

Meredith said...

YEA! We are all grateful for that. I really hope that no one else needs the barely used wheelchair! :)

Breanne said...

You're right. It is #1 - deservingly (is that a word?).
I'm glad things are going so much better for you guys now.
By the way, I don't think I told you that Paul and I ate dinner a little while ago at Valley Ho - right next to Matt's mobile. It looks great!