Monday, December 31, 2007
We met at his grandma's house. I was meeting up with his sister there for our New Year's Eve festivities. Matt was too enthralled with First Kid (yes, the lame Sinbad movie) on Nickelodeon to give me the time of day. But we did make eye contact at some point that evening, and that's probably where it all began...
Why we were there: to celebrate Christmas!
Who we were with: the Richards clan—including Riley's five Richards cousins
What we did: rode the Polar Express, went sledding (in the backyard!) opened presents, played Wii, chased around cousins, discovered crayons, visited the SLC children's museum, wreaked havok on grandma's clean house, ate candy...and cleaned up toddler throw up—five days straight!How we felt: happy! (minus the sick/puke part)
p.s. Happy New Year!
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Here are a few of the surprising/amusing things she understands (and actually obeys!):
- Get me a diaper, please
- Spit out your pacifier
- Please throw that away
- Shimmy those shoulders
- Where's the remote?
- We're taking the elevator, not the stairs
...I wanted to post a photo of her shimmying her shoulders, but I haven't had my camera handy. Instead, here's another one of her after ransacking the Christmas tree. She still doesn't obey: "Quit eating all the cookies off the tree."
Monday, December 17, 2007
I took Riley to the mall to see Santa, but I just couldn't pony up $9.95 for a legitimate photo.
So this iPhone version my brother Geoff (sneakily) snapped will have to suffice.
Bah Humbug! Er, Merry Christmas!
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
When I was pregnant, I sort of hoped for a boy, only because I'm not so good at girly stuff like braiding hair. I mean, I didn't want to cheat a daughter out of a lifetime of french braids!
So of course, my girly girl was born with tons of hair. I still haven't tried anything fancy with it—I'm just happy if it's free of cottage cheese and apple butter.
But lucky for me and Riley, the daycare girl at my gym loves doing hair! (And she's good at working through apple butter snarls!)Just don't ask me how she got Riley to sit still that long...
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Friday, December 7, 2007
- I have a nice husband
- I have a cute bundle of joy
- I don't have homework or tests
- I share the bathroom with two roommates instead of five
- I have fewer zits
- I can read for fun, not for school
- I'm no longer addicted to free cell
- I've saved more money than barely enough to cover next semester's tuition
- I don't have to bum a ride to the grocery store
- I can afford to eat more than toast and Pasta Roni
- I have the skill to cook more than toast and Pasta Roni
- I've seen more of the world than just the western United States
- I can run longer than 15 minutes without getting winded
- My current job (mommy/mobile slave) beats that telemarketing job
- I don't care what (most) people think
- I'm strong enough to survive a marathon, 180-mile bike ride, childbirth...and a hospitalized husband
Am I forgetting anything? (Yes, I'm looking for validation that getting older is great!)
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
When Riley woke up this morning, she was thrilled to see it. And within 15 minutes, she ate three cookies, ripped apart three others, snapped two candy canes in half, and knocked over the entire tree.
Um, Riley? That's not really nice-list behavior.
Monday, December 3, 2007
- Claimed dibs as Riley's godfather
- Asked—at 9 p.m.—if we could wake her for playtime
- Referred to her as our "bundle of joy."
Hmmm, aren't those classic signs of baby hunger?
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Riley ate SEVEN today. (And she actually wanted more...)
- It's not candy/twinkies/french fries
- She can peel them herself
- ...and throw away the peels herself! Another great (albeit random) milestone!
- Can you OD on Vitamin C?
- Sticky furniture
- Tomorrow's diaper